Before Your Surgery (Pre-Op)
- Put nothing in your mouth after midnight prior to your surgery, not even coffee, water, gum, mints or lifesavers.
- In the morning brush your teeth BUT DO NOT SWALLOW any paste, water, mouthwash, etc.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to take you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
Prepare for your at-home-recovery:
- Plan for adequate time away from work, school, or other daily responsibilities to give your body time to heal properly.
- Have ice or ice packs on hand.
- Have plenty of carbonated beverages, fruit juices, and water on hand. NO STRAWS!
- Have soft foods stocked: yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, soup, oatmeal, eggs, etc.
Don’t forget after midnight prior to your surgery…